Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a new generation of Auto Identification and Data collection technology which helps to automate business processes and allows identification of large number of tagged items like books, assets, people, vehicle, etc using radio waves.
RFID as a technology is sparking interest in the library community because of a promising increase in efficiency, productivity and enhanced user satisfaction. The solution would allow fast transaction flow and will prove immediate and long term benefits to the library in traceability and security.
Our RFID based Library Management System is a tried and tested solution that uses HF RFID technology. Libraries, across the globe, use RFID to speed up the self check in/out process, control the theft and ease inventory control in the library. The barcode technology is slowly getting replaced by the RFID. The RFID tags need not to be visible for detection.
Library Automation Process
• Any new book is attached with an RFID tag which contains relevant information like, call number, accession number, book number, etc.
• All details regarding the book are captured in the computer database.
• The computer database also stores all information for individual users (patrons) of the library.
• Each patron is issued a smart card that carry identification data for each patron.
• To issue a book, the user would flash his smart card and the system would automatically open his login account page.
• He would be required to place the selected books one by one on the RFID scanner.
• The computer would automatically record all the data against his name.
• Similarly, when he would return book(s), he would simply place the books in the book drop counter near the scanner and the books would be marked as returned against the patron’s name. Thus, automating the library operations to a great extent.
• It would also help in library management. Now, library owners would be able to find how frequently a particular book is issued. With this information, those books could be ordered in large stocks compared to the other books. Thus, it can also prove beneficial in an economic way.
Benefits of RFID based Library Automation System
• Uncompromised security within the library against theft.
• Efficient collection management system (can be located suitably and made 24×7).
• Flexible work schedules for employees.
• Reduced labour and time wastage which could be utilized otherwise.
• Higher customer/patron satisfaction levels.
• Improved inter-library cooperation.
• Better preservation of inventory because of less handling by staff.
• Same security and labeling formats for all items such as books, CDs and DVDs, hence better management of databases.